Cane Toad is exhibited at Taronga Zoo 9 August 2005 in Sydney, Australia.

Picture copyright
Getty Pictures

Picture caption

It isn’t identified which species of toad the person consumed, however some just like the cane toad can produce a venom by means of their pores and skin

A South Korean man has died from poisoning after consuming toads he had mistaken for edible bullfrogs.

Police mentioned on Friday that he was amongst a gaggle of males who caught 5 amphibians at a reservoir close to the town of Daejeon in March.

Believing the animals have been bullfrogs, the boys cooked and ate them at a restaurant days later.

The 57-year-old man started vomiting quickly after and was rushed to a hospital, the place he died the following morning.

Police mentioned bufotenin, a chemical generally present in toad toxin, was discovered within the leftovers of the meal.

They mentioned that among the many 5 animals that they had caught, some have been in reality toads which appeared similar to bullfrogs, reported Yonhap information company.

The person’s associates confirmed related poisoning signs however survived.

The BBC’s South Korea correspondent Stephen Evans says bullfrogs are a delicacy in some elements of rural South Korea.

Some species of toads secrete venom by means of their pores and skin when agitated or once they sense they’re in peril.

Bufotenin may be deadly when ingested in giant quantities. However it’s also a pure psychedelic, giving rise to a sub tradition the place some lick toads in an try to attain a hallucinogenic excessive.